Welcome

This blog is about movies. I've reviewed some movies according to my perspective.

Please note that this blog is no longer functional...... I still do review movies but on a different blog:


I also have another blog:
http://metallica-nick.blogspot.com/

Friday, September 05, 2008

Hancock

Hancock is a superhero film directed by Peter Berg, starring Will Smith, Jason Bateman and Charlize Theron, which released earlier this year. Based in Los Angeles, it tells the story of a vigilante superhero, Hancock, who gets the job done, but in quite a reckless manner which causes the public to turn against him. Hancock isn’t the kind of guy who cares what other people think, until the day he saves the life of PR executive Ray Embrey, and the sardonic superhero begins to realize that he may have a vulnerable side after all.

John Hancock (Will Smith) is an alcoholic with superhuman powers. Though he uses his powers to fight crime, his reckless attitude inadvertently causes millions of dollars of property damage. Due to this the public has had enough of Hancock and start to resent him. Then one day, Hancock saves the life of Ray Embrey (Jason Bateman) from being run over by a train. Ray is a public relations executive who, out of gratitude, offers to change Hancock's public image. Ray's wife, Mary (Charlize Theron), believes that Hancock cannot be fixed, and she doesn't want Ray to be hurt. However, later on we find out that her reasons for wanting Hancock out of her and her husband's lives are more self-centered than out of concern for Ray.

This movie has a not so homogeneous blend of genres ranging from action to comedy to romance, if you get what I mean. However, I'd certainly not say that this movie is bad one. I think the only reason it got mixed reactions from people was because the story is a completely different concept which has never been portrayed before. One way in which this movie is a must-watch is probably because of Will Smith. He has yet again pulled off a superb performance and according to me is overdue for an Oscar. This movie is an excellent way to kill time and I'd recommend it to Will Smith fans.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

I was wondering about the mixed reviews myself.
I had heard from some friends that thought it wasn't worth the money and a few others said it wasn't to bad.
We will probably rent it anyway. :)

Lakelandmom said...

Excellent review. Not nearly as negative as mine: http://lakelandmom.blogspot.com/2008/07/hancock-youre-kidding-right.html , but then I can be pretty outspoken and opinionated at times. I like your site alot, I WILL be back. : )

Joe Fool said...

I liked Hancock. I agree with you that Will Smith is overdue for an oscar. It is my opinion that he should have at least been nominated for his role in I Am Legend. It wasn't the greatest movie ever, but he did deserve a nomination.